Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Friday, February 19, 2010

Happy Chinese New Year! 虎年 - 恭喜快乐!

恭喜快乐!
That's my special greeting for Chinese New Year!

This my 老老舅 (aka great grand-uncle)'s cat - 乌乌 (pronounced as Oh-Oh in Teochew).
My Mummy thinks my new clothes are also 乌乌 (dark dark).
I chose them myself!

Mummy likes the Teochew New Year Greeting - "新节如意" sheng jia zoo yee
to which the receiver will reply "同同如意" dang dang zoo yee.
rather than the Cantonese's Gong Hei Fatt Choi 恭喜发财.
She thinks the Chinese are too obsessed with 发财, getting rich.

so when I came up with my own "恭喜快乐", my parents encouraged me to say that to everybody.


Coincidentally, I got this 斗方 (new phrase we learnt. means "red square paper") from Ikea.

they had this uncle writing chinese auspicious characters for New Year when we went to Ikea and There were a few words (福, 财,发,etc) to choose from.
I chose
.

I love the 斗方 so much I held it in my hand during the entire Ikea trip until we reached home.

(fu2) means blessings; fortune; happiness

If you break up the word, it's actually
which means God + One Family + Field/Garden = Happiness or Blessings

This refers to the story of Adam and Eve. In the beginning, God (神) placed Adam & Eve (一口)in a beautiful garden (田)of Eden. Then, God blesses them and they enjoyed close fellowship with God. This leads to true happiness i.e. .

The Bible teaches us that if we're in close fellowship with God, we will enjoy the blessings of God.

This CNY, be not anxious to 发财 get rich...
But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well.
Matthew 6:33

Click to read more about the blessings of .

No comments: